We Value Sustainability and our Planet
Chartwells takes pride in our efforts to positively influence the global food supply chain, and support the local communities in which we operate. We've always been on the forefront of sustainability, and will continue to lead the way.
Some of the efforts we are most proud of include:
- Monterey Bay Aquarium partnership and our commitment to purchase only Best Choices or Good Alternatives from the Seafood Watch program.
- Availability of Certified Humane eggs.
- Our commitment to purchase only milk that is free of rBGH.
- Chicken and Turkey produced without the routine use of antibiotics.
- Fair Trade Certified coffee and tea options.
- We are always working toward more sustainable purchasing initiatives which currently include never ever antibiotic turkey, FAD free tuna, and GAP certified chicken.
- We encourage local spend, and define local as within 250 miles of campus for dairy, produce, grain and meat purchases. We prefer local vendors with less than $5 million in annual revenue.
- We support Menus of Change, menuing plants more often and are putting meat in a supporting role on our menus for environmental and health reasons.
As a food organization, we are also responsible for resource management which includes reductions in food waste, solid waste to landfill, and efficiencies to minimize use of water and electricity. We have a wide variety of programs and tracking tools our units utilize to monitor processes, and implement efficiencies.
Some of our waste management stream solutions include:
- Biodegradable, compostable or recyclable paper and plastic for to-go products.
- Specialized equipment and programs for food waste management including digesters, pulpers, dehydrators to manage food scraps for composting, and Waste Not to capture and manage kitchen waste.
- Carbon Foodprint software that evaluates equipment and processes to quantify water and electricity usage, identifying opportunities to become more efficient.
- Food recovery solutions including Food Recovery Network, Feeding America and more to donate leftover edible food to those in need.
- Composting solutions and experience including on campus and off campus programs.
- Our Imperfectly Delicious Produce program captures edible, nutritious produce from farms as a second harvest and diverts this edible food from landfill or till.
- Reusable containers, cups, and mugs are welcome in most of our dining operations across the country.
Chartwells' commitment to sustainability is further strengthened by the commitments and global resources of its parent company, Compass Group North America.